Phonics - Read Write Inc
Phonics is an important part of learning to read and write. At Northwick Park, we have chosen the Read, Write Inc. program to teach our Phonics though. It is a progressive program which includes daily opportunities for reading and writing alongside discrete phonics teaching.
Phonics is taught in the EYFS and Key Stage 1 on a daily basis for 30 minutes in Reception and 1 hour in Key Stage One, together with planned intervention groups for children needing extra practise with their learning. Children are taught according to the Read, Write Inc. level they have been assessed as working in across the EYFS and then again across KS1.
Lessons aim to be interactive, stimulating and age appropriate and over the course of a daily session will cover:
• Sound recognition through discrete phonics teaching
• Application of phonics strategies for reading and writing
• Reading opportunities using specific texts at an appropriately challenging level.
• Writing opportunities including editing, sentence construction and structure, and extended writing pieces linked to the book the children are currently reading.
• Handwriting using the rhymes linked to each individual sound, children are taught to form and practise individual letter shapes.
When formative and summative assessments show children are working securely within age expected levels, Read, Write Inc. program will stop and children will develop their reading, writing, grammar, punctuation, and spellings skills in the daily English lesson.