Y4 English Summer 1
Start/ continue to write a diary explaining your thoughts and feelings and write about activities you have been doing.
Don’t forget to include:
- Writing in the past tense
- Writing in the first person using I
- Language to describe your thoughts and emotions
- Rhetorical questions
Find an old newspaper or magazine in your home – something not too precious.
Colour the verbs in pink, the nouns in yellow, adjectives in green and adverbs in blue.
e.g. The bored teacher sadly missed teaching the wonderful year 4 children at Northwick Park.
Narrative writing – Sci-fi stories
- Visit Literacy Shed online (link below) to explore a variety of sci-fi stories and videos.
Follow up activities could include:
- Sequencing a story – draw six pictures in the correct order to retell the story with written captions underneath. Remember full stops and capital letters.
- Choose a character and describe them – Draw and label your favourite character and write a paragraph describing what they are like and what they do in the story.
- Write an alternate ending for one of the stories – choose a story and think what would happen if the ending changed, rewrite the end of the story using creative language to excite your reader.
- Create a sci-fi setting – use ideas from the stories you have read or films you have watched to draw or make a setting.
- Write a sci-fi story of your own – don’t forget to include:
A beginning, a middle and an end.
Descriptive language for your characters and setting.
If you can, re-watch The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, write your own story in a fantasy setting, starting with a game of hide and seek.